Teddie the Golden Doodle

Teddie the Golden Doodle
Lazy Summer Days

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chaos and Excitement

Okay, another little blip there in my every day commitment.  Seems like there are going to be times when life gets in the way of doing this, I hope you will all forgive me.  The dogs have been great, but I've had some "days" in the last week or so.  One day last week I lost my focus and managed to drop my car keys when I was unloading the dogs.  Of course I didn't realize it at the time.  Sometimes the process of getting five or six leashed dogs out of the back of the truck, and into the fenced corral, can be a bit challenging.  That was one of those days, as one got away from me, and one was snapping at everyone else, and then all of a sudden there were people in the paddock, so I had to wait to bring them through...with five dogs in one hand and trying to get to the loose one.  Anyway, keys went completely out of my mind.

So when we get back to the truck, I realize I have no keys.  But of course it takes a while for me to actually realize this, because I am wearing cargo shorts with logs of pockets.  I like them for work because I can keep my phone, my wallet, the doggie bags, my keys, some treats,etc.  with me without having to carry a bag.  But then when it is time to grab something, you have to do the pocket pat down.  And literally, making sure I didn't have the keys in one of the various pockets involved removing everything I could find, and then jumping up and down to confirm that I hadn't missed a pocket. 

So then, of course, panic sets in.  The park is many acres...and I walk up and down the fields with the dogs...and I feel like my pockets are secure, but as I am often bending down or squatting to greet dogs, I can see how it would have been possible for the keys to work their way out of a pocket onto the soft surface and have me not hear them go.  So I look in the tall grass behind my truck where I'd let the dogs out, an don't see my keys.  I decide I must have had them in my hand with my leashes, which I set down on a bench, and they could have fallen through the bench and be on the ground there.  So I retrace my path through the park as best I can, keeping my eyes open, but find nothing.

Back at the truck I search behind the truck again, thinking that is the most logical place, but do not find them.  Then it occurs the me that while we have had spare keys made for the truck, none have ever worked in the ignition.  So even if I call and have a  key brought to me, I cannot move the truck, and I have all of these dogs to deal with.  Resigned to the insanity of the situation, I continue my search and eventually, after one slightly panic ridden phone call I do eventually find the keys.  Nothing like making a day more exciting than it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment